Thursday, December 13, 2012

Toh Soon Cafe 多春茶座

This is a simple yet full of traditional atmosphere coffee shop is located in a back lane in Campbell Street, George Town. They serve the classic "Nan Yang Breakfast" like toast (Roti Bakar with kaya and butter), Half- Boiled Egg, Coffee, Nasi Lemak, Curry Puff and so forth.

I have been there for few times, I felt it was just a normal coffee shop. While, I visited again yesterday with my boyfriend. And that was the very first time I felt that their toast and coffee were so nice. Seriously delicious. It is absolutely worthwhile to try. And this is a favorite cafe to many of my friends too.

Some shooting while waiting for the food.




1. Here the foods....
The Toast
1.The Toast, it is baked in a traditional way - with charcoal. The taste of charcoal baked toast is totally 
different from the one from oven, it is crunchier and smell greater. In addition, the combination of aromatic Kaya and Butter is always the best match to "Roti Bakar". 


The Coffee


ii) Cup of Coffee - It was too sweet for me. While it was just fine when I dunked in the toast and the " "sweetness" was just perfectly diluted.



Dip the toast in the Coffee

The half boiled egg
iii) The half boiled Egg - this is also another classic "Nan Yang style Breakfast" that I couldn't miss, adding some soy sauce and some peppers are must.

















A complete set of "Nan Yang Style Breakfast" that customers normally dine here.





Another dish.
Normally they put few packs of Nasi Lemak on the table. You can take it yourself when you would like one.
The Nasi Lemak looks spicy where you can see all the Chili when first unwrap it. But, it is not too spicy. The Ikan Bilis are too salty for me, but the chili is quite nice. And I like the strong Pandan aroma on the rice.


Lastly I want to show how I usually eat the toast. Dip it inside the half boiled egg. Some may feel it is disgusting, but please believe me, it is just a perfect match. You can savor the whole essence of "Nan Yang Style Breakfast" in one time.
  
The perfect match

There are photos displayed on the wall showed the visitation of Pg Chief Minister before. 
The first time I was here the service of the staffs were very rude. They were not friendly at all. I told myself I would not pay a visit again, who knew I came again.

However, after trying for a few times (well, was forced to, as my friends urged me to bring them there), I felt the attitude of the staffs becoming better. Maybe because of the service change and I felt the dishes are getting nicer as well. 

The cafe is always crowded and most of the time we need to stand beside and wait for a vacant table.


It is quite hard to find parking here, if you’re driving, try to turn into Lorong Kampung Malabar (next to Campbell Street). It is easier to find parking over here and you just need to walk for less than 100m.



Toh Soon Cafe 多春茶座 information:-
Operation days & time8.00am- 6.30pm ( Closed on Sunday)
Location :
Campbell Street, Off Penang Road,
George Town, 10100 Penang
GPS Coordinates: N5 25.118 E100 19.916
Contact : 04 2613754

No comments: